Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How to change a thermostat on a 97 cavalier 2.2L and where exactly is it located?

I've been working on my car for the past few days because I had to change the head gasket.

So when I removed the thermostat housing from the engine, I noticed that there was no thermostat. I'm not sure on how to place the thermostat... Does it go into the housing itself or do i have to take off the clamp and place it in the rubber hose? This housing has 3 bolts, not 2. If anyone knows, that would be great! thanks :) If anyone has step by step instructions, that would be great too.How to change a thermostat on a 97 cavalier 2.2L and where exactly is it located?If there is 3 10 mm nuts holding the housing to cylinder head, then it goes there. That may be one of the first years that the thermo was moved to the engine side of LOWER hose though. It would then be under a little steel cover with 2 bolts.How to change a thermostat on a 97 cavalier 2.2L and where exactly is it located?The thermostat NEVER goes in the rubber hose. It goes in the housing with the spring toward the engine so you can't see it when you put the housing back on. Use the correct gasket and hi-temp RTV (red).



Also make sure you follow the torque sequence and tighten in 3 steps with gradual increases in torque for the head gasket. Make sure you use the correct lube on the lifters where they seat on the cam.



You are my kind of woman to be doing this! (I already have a very good woman, but she is my chearleader!)