Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Brakes dragging? what is it - how drastically can it affect mileage? Would I feel it?

I changed plugs - twice, because I assumed my horrible mileage came from plugs and wires. I have fixed a faulty thermostat (nice to have heat in the car again). When I originally changed the plugs, I also had someone replace by rotors and pads. I have since seen %26quot;brakes dragging%26quot;as a possibility on other similar situations. What is that, and would i notice the brakes dragging?



I am trying to figure out how my 99 grand prix went from 21 mpg to 17-19 mpg overnight.Brakes dragging? what is it - how drastically can it affect mileage? Would I feel it?%26quot;brakes dragging%26quot; means the brake pads don't pull away completely when you release the brake pedal

to check you jack up each side of the car and spin the wheels, notice how hard it is and how long they take to stop. a very slight scraping on disk brakes is normal.Brakes dragging? what is it - how drastically can it affect mileage? Would I feel it?go for a drive and when you get back feel if the wheel is abnormally hot, if they are(or one of them is) it needs to be readjusted. anything creating drag is going to reduce your fuel economy..Brakes dragging? what is it - how drastically can it affect mileage? Would I feel it?It's hard to say but you would have noticed if your brakes are dragging the rotors and brake pads would be very hot and you would feel that around the wheels. Did you use the right spark plug, what about the right gap if you used plugs that were not already pre-gaped.